Followers

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My Mistake: Orly's Nail Rescue Kit

You're probably (or probably not!) wondering why I haven't posted any manicures lately - well let's start by saying that one little mistake lead me to total nail FAIL.

Orly's Nail Rescue Kit , while it is a novel idea, is a complete disaster! I had a split nail (a low split) on my middle finger a few weeks ago, which happens to me SO often  I can't even tell you. I was tired of always having to cut down my nails when I get a split -  so I went to the store in search of something that could temporarily repair my nail. And there I found the rescue kit by Orly.

Got home and gave it a shot, and loved how well it fixed the split, like it was never there! But in two days, the acrylic layer on the nail cracked... so I applied another layer. Then another nail split, applied it on there, until ALL my fingers had this rescue kit on them. Eventually, from adding on layers of this acrylic powder, the tips started to chip in layers, and were uneven with the rest of the acrylic layers, and I made the decision to buff them down. It didn't work so well. Some of my nails are free of the acrylic, but most have little patches of acrylic on them, and I'm afraid to buff any further because my nail beds are very tender now. And I've also managed to dry up and fray my cuticles from using acetone to remove the acrylic, and a buffer to smooth it.

My nails are SO WEAK and damaged from the buffing, I had to cut off all of my nails so short, and now I have to start building them all over again. I'm so bummed because I have received about 10 new polishes in the mail, and have more to come, and I can't paint them until they're grown out and strong(ish) again.

Would I recommend it personally? No. Not at all. I honestly don't see the point of it! If your nail breaks, just suck it up, and cut it down even. This kit is only a very temporary fix (a few days best) and once the acrylic cracks, you're back at square one with the broke nail, AND a layer of acrylic that is glued onto your nail and is impossible to remove, even with acetone. It's not worth the hassle IMO. It didn't rescue anything. It did the exact opposite.

This is what that kit did to my fingers-



3 comments:

  1. OMG!A two years ago I put UV gel on my nails,and after I take it off,my nails were something like yours.It took me almost 6 months,then they start to get better.I used extra virgin olive oil and transparent nail hardener from essence,so try.Put some oil in the bowl,and dip your nails for 5 minutes.Do that every night.Hope that will help...
    Sorry for my english :((

    ReplyDelete
  2. My god! You know I used it and didn't have that many problems with it, but it wasn't that fabulous either. It strengthened the crack a little bit, but if I hit it on anything at all it would just split again. It was....like a 2 out of 5. Pretty cheap too so not a disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this product. Following major surgery, my nails became very soft. Even touching them would cause the top of the nail to split and peel. Typing wore them down to the num and gentle filing made the problem worse. I needed a solution to protect the nail tips and strengthen the entire nail. Initially, I followed the package instructions and applied the glue and the powder to the entire nail evenly on all 10 nails. Immediately, I was able to gently file and shape the nails for the first time in months. Next, I smoothed the nails out using the enclosed buffer. It was not smooth enough so I continued buffing with finer buffers. Next i applied a base coat, clear nail polich, and a top coat. At the end of the first week, I could see there was new nail growth so I removed the nail polish with non-acetone polish remover. After that, I changed my polish weekly until my nails had grown out completely. After two months, I used an acetone based polish remover to remove the acrylic with no problem. I think this product is good to strengthen weak nails but I prefer using acrilic or silk wraps to repair split nails.

    ReplyDelete